What is Managed IT Services
The pandemic has had a massive impact on how we live and work. Several months after the normal economic and social interactions were first disrupted, the world is yet to resume its total state of normalcy. Working from home, for instance, has become the new norm and continues to take root in most business policies.
As you would expect, with these changes comes a set of challenges. For instance, there’s an increased dependency on technology, especially when it comes to communication and remote team operations. Of course, this in itself isn’t a significant problem, but the fact that more resources are channeled towards hardware and software maintenance is the main issue at hand.
Fortunately, there’s one solution that many businesses have found helpful over the years–managed IT services. So, what is managed IT services, and how can it be beneficial to your company?
Read on to learn more!
What are managed IT services?
As a company, sometimes, your IT team can be overwhelmed by the number and complexity of the tasks that need attention. For instance, as mentioned, a significant number of employees currently work from home, which means most businesses are relying on technology for communication and managing data. As such, there are likely to be more IT tasks than your team can handle at any given time.
In such a case where you don’t have enough personnel or resources to solve your recurring technology-related issues, you can opt to hire an external entity to help with the management. Managed IT services, therefore, are those services that you decide to outsource to an external team. (1)
Organizations or firms that specialize in this field are called managed IT service providers (MSP). This team takes full responsibility for your IT operations, including round-the-clock monitoring, on-demand support, and problem resolution. With such a system, you can free up some of your resources and channel them towards other areas of your business development.
Benefits of outsourcing your IT services
If you’re still undecided on whether to hire a managed IT service provider, the following benefits might make your decision a lot easier:
- Saves on resources: Time and money are essential resources in any business operation. Outsourcing IT services frees up some time in your team’s schedule, allowing space for other projects. Also, the fact that you won’t have to spend too much on training means you can save a lot of money.
- High productivity: Routine tasks, such as checking email, are among the main things that can hinder business development. Therefore, outsourcing such sections of your daily operation will ensure that all your employees spend more time on their primary duties, which is a move that can significantly impact overall productivity. (3)
- Maximum output from your IT talent: Every IT expert is passionate about technology, especially if it’s related to their field of expertise. However, these innovative minds often go to waste when they’re forced to attend to routine tasks every day. When such tasks are outsourced, your creative minds are given enough time and space to concentrate on what they do best. In the long run, you’ll enjoy more innovative ideas, which is important for your business success.
Deciding which IT services to outsource?
Understanding the benefits of managed IT services is one thing, but knowing which tasks to outsource is another. In a typical modern business, there are many IT tasks that need to be attended to at any given time. However, not all of these services can be given up to a managed IT service provider.
When deciding which of these tasks can be taken care of by a managed service provider, you must consider those that don’t distinguish you from other players in the market. For instance, it’s safer to outsource all email-related tasks because any MSP will be able to meet the intended goals without any issues. If you have some jobs that are too specific to your operations, it would be prudent to train an internal team to handle them. (2)
Another thing to consider in the process is your endgame. What do you wish to achieve after outsourcing your services? If you want your team to be more innovative, giving up mundane tasks will give your employees enough space and time to get creative.
Managed IT services refer to those tasks that businesses choose to outsource to an external team to ease the responsibilities of their employees. Among the main advantages of hiring a managed IT service provider include increased productivity and cost-saving. But before you go down that road, make sure you decide on which services to outsource. This way, you’ll be able to enjoy the full benefits of this modern trend in the business world.
- “IT Management Service,” Source: https://www.techopedia.com/definition/29302/it-management-service
- “Which IT Services Should Be Managed?”, Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/centurylink/2016/12/01/which-it-services-should-be-managed/?sh=6d73dbe6d518
- “Managed IT Services Can Help Small Businesses Boost Productivity”, Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/cdw/2016/04/04/managed-it-services-can-help-small-businesses-boost-productivity/?sh=4edfd44a6479